What they Drank
2013 Emmy spirits and wines gifted and served to the celebrities at suites like Debbie Durkin's event, GBK and Wounded Warriors Project Suite, as well as the Governor's Ball included some delightful new wines, signature liquor creations and hot new products for everyone's enjoyment. The signature cocktail for the Emmy Awards Governors Ball was a beautiful Grey Goose Martini and the official wine was BV. W Hotel was serving cocktails made with their signature vodka, while Maya Tequila, which comes in a variety of flavors was a hit at the Durkin Eco Emmy event. Two unique wines were on the table at GBK that included Paso California Square and Sequin in pink, blue and green. BV Cabernet by George De Latour was on every table and on the lips of all the award winners following the Emmy Award 2013 presentation. The winemaker provided reds and whites to pair with the exquisite Patina menu. Celebrities were transported tot the grand event in beautiful new Audi's, provided by the 65th Emmy Awards sponsor. Cheers! BC .
LIMONEIRA PRESIDENT & CEO NAMED RECIPIENT OF SUSTAINABILITY AWARD FROM CAPTAIN PLANET FOUNDATION
CEO Harold Edwards honored with an award from the Captain Planet Foundation for Limoneira's sustainability efforts at Santa Paula event
For over a hundred years, Limoneira has operated according to the understanding that without proper planning for the future, nothing built in the present will last indefinitely. As a result, the company has historically employed practices that fall under what is known today as sustainability. It is the diligent usage of these sustainable practices that the Captain Planet Foundation has chosen to publicly commend and recognize with the granting of this award.
"The Captain Planet Foundation is internationally recognized for their outstanding work providing the next generation of stewards an active understanding and love for the natural world in which they live," says Edwards. "I'm thrilled that they have acknowledged Limoneira's extensive efforts on the stewardship and sustainability front."
Limoneira's efforts to create a sustainable business - and world - can be seen across the board in their business practices. As the largest producer of lemons and avocados in the United States, it is incredibly important that the highest level of quality be maintained at all times. Here's a glimpse into how they do it:
- Water, Energy, Soil - Rigorous inspection of water supply to prevent waste/run-off and promote quality, solar orchards that provide 2MW of clean energy and extensive efforts to keep green waste out of landfills are just some of the ways Limoneira works to protect the planet.
- Site selection, Species, Variety - Preventative strategies are used to reduce inputs and establish a sustainable production system. Pest-resistant crops are selected whenever possible which are tolerant of existing soil/site conditions.
- Diversity - Maintenance of geographic and crop diversity means that when one area or crop suffers, others potentially thrive.
- Harvest - Crews are trained in proper harvesting procedures to limit fruit damage with shades break areas provided. Limoneira has a history of making production easier and safer for employees, as safety is a top company priority.
- Efficient Use of Inputs - Limoneira managers schedule production hours at non-peak energy times, plant more trees per acre, and utilize old trees, pruned limbs and dry leaves for mulching to reduce herbicide and water usage.
- Work Force Housing- Limoneira provides vital benefits such as work force housing and funds for educational and community programs, and is the largest provider of work force housing in Ventura County with recently approved plans for expansion.
- Integrated Pest Management- When it comes to managing insects there's nothing more natural than using beneficial insects to control destructive agricultural pests. Limoneira maintains a complete Integrated Pest Management system to bring their sustainably-grown products to market and reduce the use of pesticides.
- Employees - As a seven time "Family Friendly Award" recipient from Ventura County, Limoneira offers competitive pay with the highest medical/health benefits in the industry, along with competitive 401(k) plans. Many employees have been at Limoneira for 30+ years.
- Profitability - Profitability is vital to sustainability. Limoneira has been an ongoing enterprise for 120 years. The company works diligently to ensure its financial health to provide for the continuation of sustainable programs far into the future.
- Community Development-Limoneira's board and management believe that sustainability includes supporting the organizations that make our communities healthy. The Company partners with scores of entities whose missions include educational enrichment, child development, job-creation, economic development, public safety and tourism.
About the Captain Planet Foundation:
The mission of the Captain Planet Foundation is to give the next generation of environmental stewards an active understanding and love for the natural world in which they live. Our unique program of funding and supporting hands-on environmental projects is designed to encourage innovative initiatives that inspire and empower children and youth around the world as they work individually and collectively creating environmental solutions in their homes, schools and communities.
About Limoneira Company:
Limoneira Company, a 120-year-old international agribusiness headquartered in Santa Paula, California, has grown to become one of the premier integrated agribusinesses in the world. Limoneira (pronounced lē mon΄Ôra), is a dedicated sustainability company with approximately 8,000 acres of rich agricultural lands, real estate properties and water rights in California. The Company is a leading producer of lemons, avocados, oranges, specialty citrus and other crops that are enjoyed throughout the world. For more about Limoneira Company, visit www.limoneira.com.