The Paso Robles Rotary Club is looking to build on the momentum generated from last-year's Winemakers' Cookoff scholarship fundraiser. Today, it announced that IQMS, headquartered in Paso Robles, has joined as the title sponsor for the 2012 Cookoff. Once again, Estrella Associates will host the event at its River Oaks Hot Springs in Paso Robles. This year the event will be held on the second Saturday in August, August 11, 2012, from 6-9 PM.
"In the 13 years since its inception, the Winemakers' Cookoff has focused on benefitting local high-school seniors by providing them with college and vocational scholarships," said Sharon Ross, 2012 Rotary Winemakers' Cookoff chair. "Today our youth are under tremendous pressure to obtain financial assistance to offset the rapidly growing cost of advanced education. The Rotary, along with the support of our generous sponsors, will continue to support deserving youth."
"As we grow in this community, we want to emphasize our commitment to helping local youth receive college and vocational educations," stated Randy Flamm, President and C.E.O. of IQMS. "The continued-education opportunities provided by the Rotary's annual Cookoff exemplifies exactly the kind of effort we want to support."
Now in its fourteenth-year, the Paso Robles Winemakers' Cookoff has become one of Paso Robles' most-popular wine, food and music events. It is also one of its most unique. The Cookoff features not just local wines, but the culinary talents of more than 30 of the appellation's winemakers. Participating wineries pair their culinary creations with their finest wines and compete for both Judges' Choice and People's Choice awards the day of the event. Since the first Winemakers' Cookoff in 1999, proceeds from the Winemakers' Cookoff have been deposited in Rotary's Harlow Ford Scholarship Foundation building a perpetual fund that has enabled the Paso Robles Rotary Club to award scholarships exceeding $380,000 as well as build a perpetual fund that will help guarantee future scholarship benefits. For more information on the Paso Robles Rotary Club and the Winemakers' Cookoff visit: www.winemakerscookoff.com or call toll-free 877 264-6979.
Save the Date
14th-Annual Paso Robles Rotary Winemakers' Cookoff
Title Sponsor, Date and Location Announced
- IQMS Welcomed as Event's New Title Sponsor in 2012
- Winemakers' Cookoff Again to be Held August 11 at River Oaks Hot Springs
PATRICK GARVEY NAMED
2012 NAPA VALLEY GROWER OF THE YEAR
The Napa Valley Grapegrowers (NVG) has announced that longtime grower Patrick Garvey has been selected as the 2012 recipient of the prestigious Napa Valley Grower of the Year award. Garvey will be honored for his broad contributions to Napa Valley agriculture and the community on May 18 at the 38th NVG Annual Dinner at HALL St. Helena.
Garvey served as NVG President from 1992-1994, and has led many important industry initiatives over the years, including the creation of the Oakville and Rutherford appellations and the development of the Napa Valley Vit Fair (now in its 23rd year). He has a deep commitment to farmworkers and in this capacity, chairs the Napa County Farm Worker Housing Commission and is one of the founders of the Cinco de Mayo Golf Classic, which has collected over $½ million to benefit farmworker housing centers in the Napa Valley. He and his wife of 37 years, Julie, have set up a fund called Rise to the Occasion, which provides financial help to those in need in the community.
Garvey came to the Napa Valley in 1978 to farm winegrapes. He currently owns and manages over 600 acres of vineyards, all farmed by the family with sustainable practices.
NVG President David Beckstoffer recognized the important place Garvey holds in Napa Valley history book, noting “Pat is a tremendously well-respected grapegrower and a model citizen in our community. His contributions to the Napa Valley are numerous and although he would be the last to say it, he is highly deserving of this special award”.
Nominations for the Napa Valley Grower of the Year come from the NVG membership and the recipient is chosen by a Selection Committee made up of Past Presidents of the organization and current committee members. The award criteria are: a strong commitment to sustainable practices; recognized leadership in agricultural preservation; dedicated community focus, contributions to the Napa Valley community; and someone who actively promotes Napa’s reputation for the highest quality vineyards.
Information on the May 18 celebration is available from the Napa Valley Grapegrowers: www.napagrowers.org
With 600 members, the Napa Valley Grapegrowers has played a vital role in strengthening Napa Valley's reputation as a world-class winegrowing region for over 37 years. Its mission is to promote and preserve Napa Valley’s world-class vineyards.
KRUPS BEER TENDER
KRUPS – leading maker in coffee makers and other kitchen appliances has the perfect appliance that all beer lovers can appreciate.
The KRUPS BeerTender is designed for the true beer connoisseur. Not only does it keep beer at its optimal serving temperature, it has a sleek design that unit looks great from any angle, no matter where you display it. The appliance is compatible with Heineken, Heineken Premium Light and Newcastle Brown Ale. The BeerTender features a handy LED temperature indicator, signaling when the beer reaches its optimal 37.4° F serving temperature – for up to 30 days after tapping.
Cinco de Mayo Low-Cal Latin Lover:
- 1.5 oz Voli Orange Vanilla
- 2 oz Lemonade
- .5 oz Agave Nectar
- .5 oz Pineapple Juice
- Glass: Rocks
- Garnish: Orange Twist (or a little umbrella for a tropical flair!)
- In a mixing tin, add ice, Voli Orange Vanilla, Lemonade, Agave Nectar and Pineapple Juice.
- Shake and strain into a rocks glass
- Approximate Calories: 144
2012 Monterey Beer Festival "Celebrating 11 Years of Great Beer"
To Be Held Saturday June 9, 2012
MONTEREY, CA Come to the Monterey Fairgrounds for the greatest assortment of Beer ever assembled on the Central Coast. The 2012 Monterey Beer Festival will be celebrating 11 years of great beer and be held on Saturday, June 9th, 2012 from 12:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. at the Monterey County Fairgrounds located at 2004 Fairgrounds Road in Monterey.
· Sample varied styles of Ales, Lagers & Ciders from over eighty (80+) breweries with hundreds of beers to taste. On hand will be the best of beer from around the world, including America, Belgium, Germany, England, France, Australia, Thailand, Italy, Asia, Ireland, Russia, Mexico, Jamaica & California.
· What's beer without good food? Local food vendors from throughout the area will have booths at the Monterey Beer Festival. Whether you want Thai noodles, Korean or Southern barbecue, California cuisine, Cajun food, fried fish or just a plain old-fashioned bratwurst, there's a booth to feed your need.
· Live bands play throughout the day. Listen to "Tribute to Rock" Bands to perform including PETTY THEFT "Tom Petty & the Heart Breakers", Powerage "AC/DC" and Zoo Station "U2".
· $40 - Main Event Ticket (Includes all your Beer for the Main Event).*Main Event is from 12:30pm to 5pm
· $60 - VIP Event Ticket (Includes all your beer for the One-Hour Special. Tasting before the Main Event and Beer. Snacks* during the One Hour VIP Session.) VIP Ticket also includes Early Admission into the Main Event. *VIP Tasting is from 11:30am to 12:30pm *Beer Snacks are meats, cheeses & crackers, chips, pretzels and nuts.
· A limited number of tickets are available for both the VIP Event & the Main Event, so get your tickets early*(7 oz. Recyclable Cups provided by the Monterey Beer Fest for your Tasting).
· Only people certifiably over the age of 21 will be admitted this year - no exceptions.
Tickets can be purchased on line (VIP tickets available online only) at http://www.nightthatneverends.com/brew_with_a_view.html or at the Monterey County Fairgrounds. If the event is not sold out, Tickets may be available the day of the event at: Monterey Fairgrounds, Gate 5 starting at 10am.The 2012 Monterey Beer Festival is sponsored by Post No Bills, BevMo! and The Beer Geek.
Freiburg wine festival
Wine growers' cooperatives and wine growers invite you to a festival with food and wine on the Münsterplatz: More than 400 wines and sparkling wines representing the variety and extraordinary quality of the region's produce will be available to drink. Renowned restaurants in Freiburg and the region around serve the ideal complement to the wine: Badisch specialities and international cuisine. The offerings of food extend from the typical Zwiebelkuchen [onion tart] to the gourmet dishes for the connoisseur.
Dates: 05 July - 10 July 2012
Gabriele Del Carlo, Sommelier at the Four Seasons Hotel George V!