JULY 2014 LIFE BITES NEWS
Dear Life Bites News Readers,
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY and we hope you are enjoying your summer with family and friends. Our hotel/chef feature this month is on Monterey Plaza Hotel, a charming tourist destinations in the Monterey Peninsula. We also have some outstanding reviews on Mundaka Restaurant and The Beach House at Lovers Point. Travel news section is filled with hotel ideas from around the world.
Sips has some great wine festival news from the Carmel-Monterey vintners, as well as coverage of the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum Wine Festival 2014. Culinary Coup is full of great restaurant and food news. Look for film, food & wine events to enjoy around the world. Making organic fragrances with the professionals at Anje featured in Spa Baby this month. Events include Summer Solstice in Santa Barbara and Mandarin Oriental Hotel Party in Bel Air.
Beverly Wilshire, Four Seasons Hotel hosted the ISPA gathering that attracted health and spa media to learn about "what's new in the spa world." The Paris Airport opened an M&M store for travelers enjoyment. BookBites has some fabulous take-along books for reading on the plane; don't miss "It Ain't Over - Til It's Over" by Marlo Thomas.
Pray for peace and for those leading our Country!
I know our kids need to be saying the 'pledge of allegiance' in schools. They need to know the words to our national anthem and they need to constantly be reminded of how lucky they are to be an American! National pride is something that is taught, and they are doing this in Korea, China, and Japan. What's going on?
Happy Birthday to my daughter Mary and my darling grandson Leo . . . you are loved so much!
Bonnie Carroll, Publisher/Editor
4th of July Healthy Egg-cellent Breakfast Quesadilla courtesy of Pritikin Longevity Center
- 1 cup diced assorted vegetables (the more colors the better!)
- ½ cup egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole-wheat, low-sodium lavash thin bread
- 3 Tablespoons shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- ¼ cup pico de gallo (no salt added) or no-salt-added salsa (such as Enrico’s brand)
- In a medium nonstick skillet, sauté vegetables until beginning to brown. Add egg whites and scramble. Season with black pepper.
- On a warm griddle or flat-top grill, place lavash thin bread and let the side facing the heat get hot.
- Turn the bread over on the griddle or grill, and sprinkle the cheese on top side.
- On half of the top side, spread the vegetable scramble and cilantro.
- When the cheese begins to melt, fold the thin bread in half to cover the vegetables. Press firmly, using a tool like a large firm spatula or bottom of a pan. Flip on the other side, grill for about 2 minutes, and press.
- Remove from heat. Cut quesadilla into four pieces. Serve two pieces per person with fat-free sour cream and salsa on the side.
LIFE BITES NEWS . . . Who We Are
LBN Staff 2014
Bonnie Carroll, Publisher/Editor
Rosalie Frances, Contributor, tolifebites.com
Mary Hilton, Content Contributor/Marketing Director
Cody Hilton, Teen Times Columnist
Natasha Melikoff, Montreal Canada Reporter
Mike O’Connell, Photo/Video Director/Contributor
Isabella D'Angelo, Rome Correspondent
Additional contributing writers are included on an individual issue basis. Please contact the editor with questions regarding journalist assignments. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2115 De La Vina Street, Ste 31
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Email contact preferred please
LBN Best of 2013
Best New Rest Opening US
Nobu, Ceasars Palace LV
Best International Chef
Daniel Boulud, DBGB LV
Best Int'l Airport Cuisine
Frenchy's Bistro, De Gaulle Paris
Best US Day Spa
Burke Williams, California
Best Resort Hotel Spa
|OHTLI Spa, Casamagna Puerto Vallarta|
BLVD, Beverly Wilshire Hotel, BH
Best Winter Resort
Tenaya Lodge, Yosemite California
Cranberry Cozmo, L'Ermitage Hotel BH
Best Restaurant Design
Rare, Victor Drai, Hollywood
Best New Int'l Hotel
Four Seasons, St. Petersburg Russia
Best Int'l Spa
Aurum Spa, Villa Sassa Switzerland
Best Art Museum
Blumenshein Museum, Taos NM
Best Int'l Beach Hotel
Grand Rimini & Excelsior, Rimini Italy
Best Celeb Event Menu
2013 Emmy's by Joachim Splichal Patina
Best Iconic Lounge
Zoe's Chateau Laurier, Ottawa CAN
Best Italian Restauant
Celestino's Pasadena California
Best Int’l Business Hotels
Four Seasons & Trump Hotels
Best Seafood plate
Oysters Rockefeller, The Boathouse, SB
Best New Mexico Cuisine
Taos Inn, Doc Holidays, Chef Zippy
Best New Restaurant
Wolfgang Puck, Bel Air Hotel
Beet Salad, Polo Loung, BH Hotel
Rideau Canal & City Tour, Ottawa, Can
Best Private Train Travel US
Calzephyr Private Rail Cars, California
Best Int'l & US Flights
Air Berlin, Virgin, JetBlue, Southwest, AA
Best Weekend Escape
Blue & Green Iguana Inn's, Ojai Calif
Best Burger LA
25 Degrees, Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
Best Epicurean Event
Bracebridge Dinner, Yosemite Calif
Audi A8 L TDI
Best Wine List
Guy Savoy, LV & French Laundry, CA
Best Family Hotels
Marriott & Hilton Worldwide
Best Travel Adventure
Air Balooning, Albuquerque NM
Best Historic Beach Hotel
Del Coronado, San Diego
Best Cook Book
Daniel, Daniel Boulud
Congratulations - You're the Best!